Thursday, February 02, 2006

SOME GREAT INSPIRATION


I have been reading Dennis’s blog about Pablo Diaz and have recently been inspired by him. I was fortunate enough to acuire from my Uncle Ralph several pieces that were made by Pablo. The first picture is of some houses that he made.








The little critter in front the house is his also. A lizard I think.

There is a birdbath that has a wood like exterior and the legs are branches fashioned out of cement, his favorite medium. I, too, have memories of my grandfather, Pablo. Although I was too young to remember where they lived, I remember that he had a great garden, spoke only Spanish and lived with my Mom’s sister, Berenabe. That’s been pretty hard to understand, but my aunt was married to my grandfather. He was in his late ninties or even 100 years old when I visited him. Here is a picture of thebirdbath:


The most cherished of the pieces of art from Pablo is the Bridge. I believe it is the same one in the picture that Dennis refers to where Sandy is posing when she is young. My Uncle Ralph promised me the Bridge and said I could have it when he died. I remember it at his house in San Gabriel across from San Gabriel High.

Well, Pablo's inspiration came to me earlier last year. You see I was attempting to finish our front patio and had come to a point where I needed to finish with the benches so that the stucco guy could finish and we could finally enjoy the front patio. Here are before & after photos

The tricky part and the part where I was inspired by Pablo, was the edge of the front edge of the bench. When we first built the wall with the built in benches, the block wall left flat edges. This would be a challenge to tile to do and look good. I felt as though Pablo was talking to me and explaining how to round it and it would looked better. With his help I was able to work it out and come up with a great solution. So here is a picture of the completed patio which we enjoy.

7 comments:

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Sandy has not seen these photos yet. I told her that those small houses and the bridge were at Rancho Relaxo. I had asked her to stop by on her last trip out west.
I am very happy to see them and well taken care of. Pablo did a lot of work at the San Gabriel Mission and at the Huntington Library. When you see it you will know created it.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your finished patio, especially your bench look great...you did a magnificent job!

Your other pictures, especially the little houses and the bridge bring back such good memories. I played with these houses and on the bridge until I was 8 years old when I was sent away. After that, I was only a guest.

What a coincidence that you should post these pictures at this time...because last night I was up until 1:00am writing about the bridge and the fountain it was over, and the little houses on the mound that my grandfather made for me. It's funny, but I don't remember there being 3 houses.

I'm glad that you saved those cherished possessions. They couldn't be in better hands.

Gil said...

I would like to know if there is anyway to get info on the time that Pablo worked at Huntington. I recall that a couple of other uncle worked there also. When I visited w/ Gene a while back I think he mentioned this. It sure would be nice a little more history. I have been to the Gardens there and immediately recognized his work.

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

I think it would be very difficult to get anything from them. Perhaps a long letter to them introducing Pablo and what he stood for in our family and how he influenced us all with his gardening ability and the gardens at the library.
I also think though that they have a genealogy website.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

All I know is that he worked there during the time I lived with him...1944 to 1952. I'm sure he continued working there after 1952.

He also did other work, but his main job was at the Huntington Library.

tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Family photo is now
http://laurelrose.com/Family/FAMILYPHOTO.HTM

I dropped the www.
Dennis

Motherkitty said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you and Jennie!